Thursday, April 26, 2012

Old PCI video card in modern motherboard doesn't POST.?

I'm turning one of my PCs into a server. The mainboard is an ABIT AN8-SLI which runs fine with a PCI-E video card. To reduce power consumption I'm trying to use an old PCI VGA card in a standard PCI slot. The BIOS is set to try PCI before PCI-E video.



With just the PCI card, the fans whirl then stop. LED code 8.7 (check CPU core voltage). I've tried two PCI VGA cards with the same results.



It's almost as if this mainboard requires PCI-E video to be installed.|||Yes, I'd try a different PCI slot for the video card(s)



Have you tried putting a network card, modem or something in the problem slot to see if the POST still fails?|||Can you verify that other standard PCI devices work on the same slot?

No comments:

Post a Comment